I think for many teachers one of the biggest concerns about including cell phones in classroom learning activities is that they will be used inappropriately. Teachers do not want to be responsible for harmful mobile behavior. Yet, by ignoring cell phone etiquette, we are not doing the students any favors. We could teach appropriate cell phone etiquette, while showing students how to use cell phones as learning tools. I would like to brainstorm some "rules" for including cell phones inside of the school classroom.
Here are my top 5 (although I reserve the right to change them as I hear better ideas).
1) Cell phones need to be on vibrate
2) Cell phones need to be in the front of the room (drop bag) until it is time to use them
3) Cell phones can only be used in class for academic/learning purposes
4) Any activity conducted on cell phones in class cannot be published without permission of teacher and/or students who are involved in the text/image/video/audio file (e.g. no publishing a photo of a class project on MySpace page without permissions).
5) Students will use appropriate cell phone etiquette by respecting the privacy of other's phone numbers and using appropriate language with their mobile communication.
What are your top 5 rules? Or what would your top 5 rules be?
Disclaimers and Other Information about this blog. The information on the blog may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct or up to date. The opinions expressed on the blog are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of anyone or any institution associated with the author. Links to external sources in the blog posts are provided solely as a courtesy to our blog visitors. All of the links on the sidebar under "recommended links" are links that the author believes to possibly have benefit in K-12 teaching and learning. All other sidebar links are related to cell phones and/or education but not necessary recommended as a K-12 learning resource by the author, some may be sponsor links and/or paid for image/banner ads. The author does not do paid reviews for her blog posts about web resources.Please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquires regarding this blog.
Cell Phones in Learning by Liz Kolb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. Based on a work at cellphoneseinlearning.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://cellphonesinlearning.com.