Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Mobile iReporting and Research Experience!

I have posted a few times about citizen journalism or iReporting. Citizen Journalism is when everyday people report on current news or happenings. I decided to become a CNN iReporter earlier this week. On Wednesday, spur of the moment, I decided to drive 2 hours to Grand Rapids Michigan and attend the Barack Obama campaign rally. I'm glad I did since John Edwards showed up, and the atmosphere was electric. Almost like a rock concert. I had seen John McCain a few months before, but it was not the same feeling. Being a former social studies teacher, I enjoy seeing and hearing all of the candidates. While I was waiting in line with some other Ann Arborites at the rally, I remembered that I could use my mobile phone to report to CNN about news and events from the rally. So I took a quick picture of us standing in line. Inside the venue, I took a short video of the "wave" happening in the crowd before Obama arrived. I sent them both to ireport@cnn.com with a short message about the rally. I later found my reports on CNN's ireporter space with my message! Pretty neat! How many people can say they report for CNN!

About an hour before Obama was expected to arrive, a rumor began to sprinkle through the arena that "Edwards" might be coming. Using another favorite mobile reference resource, I called ChaCaha and asked "is John Edwards going to endorse Obama in Michigan tonight." Less than a minute later I received a text message from ChaCha with a link to the CNN mobile article about said "Edwards to Endorse Obama in Grand Rapids"! I sent my cell phone around the aisle---glad I got it back :-), and people began hooting with excitement as the phone with the ChaCha message flew through the row.

Cell Phones hold so much potential for citizen journalism and research/reference information.

1 comment:

Charlie Roy said...

@Liz
Glad to see you are becoming a chacha junkie.

Disclaimers and Other Information about this blog. The information on the blog may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct or up to date. The opinions expressed on the blog are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of anyone or any institution associated with the author. Links to external sources in the blog posts are provided solely as a courtesy to our blog visitors. All of the links on the sidebar under "recommended links" are links that the author believes to possibly have benefit in K-12 teaching and learning. All other sidebar links are related to cell phones and/or education but not necessary recommended as a K-12 learning resource by the author, some may be sponsor links and/or paid for image/banner ads. The author does not do paid reviews for her blog posts about web resources.Please contact Liz at elizkeren@yahoo.com for any inquires regarding this blog.
Creative Commons License Cell Phones in Learning by Liz Kolb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. Based on a work at cellphoneseinlearning.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://cellphonesinlearning.com.