I came across a recent iReport on CNN asking people to voice or text their opinion on giving their own kids a cell phone. Some interesting reports were submitted. Below are some of the highlights:
1) While most parents seem to think safety was the number 1 reason for giving their kids a cell phone, they also voiced concern over those rather "large" cell phone bills that would come in each month (one had a 500 dollar bill!).
2) Many families have unlimited text messaging but very limited calling, therefore the primary communication is via text to save on calling minutes.
3) Some parents who wanted their kids to have cell phones, bought them the pay-as-you-go plans or the restricted phones such as Tic Talk or FireFly in order to have a lot of control over the phones and plans.
4) A few parents posted that they felt giving their children cell phones encouraged responsibility such as their kids having after-school jobs to pay for their plans (or extra features they would like), and having their kids for any overcharges.
5) A few parents did not agree with giving their children cell phones, citing "not responsible" enough to handle the expensive devices as a main reason.
What is your opinion? Does your child have a cell phone? If so, what age did they get their first ell phone. What was your reason for giving them a cell phone? Take the poll!
Disclaimers and Other Information about this blog. The information on the blog may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct or up to date. The opinions expressed on the blog are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of anyone or any institution associated with the author. Links to external sources in the blog posts are provided solely as a courtesy to our blog visitors. All of the links on the sidebar under "recommended links" are links that the author believes to possibly have benefit in K-12 teaching and learning. All other sidebar links are related to cell phones and/or education but not necessary recommended as a K-12 learning resource by the author, some may be sponsor links and/or paid for image/banner ads. The author does not do paid reviews for her blog posts about web resources.Please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquires regarding this blog.
Cell Phones in Learning by Liz Kolb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. Based on a work at cellphoneseinlearning.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://cellphonesinlearning.com.